With summer ending, these tasks will help prepare for the fall on the inner and outer home for the season.
- if the leaves are beginning to fall, this is the time to clean them and certainly if screens or guards are to be put up.
- inspect the roof before the ice and snows of winter
months arrive. Look at all areas and patch with a quality compound or replace
shingles as needed. This could be one of the few last chances.
- collect any branches before the leaves. If the leaves have become settled due to dampness it might be necessary to
apply a power blower to lift them from the soggy turf.
- caulk where needed. Replace any rusty screws such as on downspouts with pre-painted screws to prevent premanent rust stains.
- remove unwanted items from the deck surface, particularly those with metal feet to prevent staining over time. Remove any packed leaves and debris from
the slats for maximum ventilation.
- replace any rails where split or where they are not expected to survive the coming months.
- mix in the collected leaves with some of the garden soil for the upcoming planting season.
- remove the screens and store until springtime. Add seals in window and door areas to hinder airflow.